This month, I will be sharing key points on what you need to know about breast cancer to be your best advocate.
Breast cancer is the second leading cause of cancer among women in the U.S. 180,000 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in this country this year according to the National Cancer Institute. This year, 40,000 women will die from this disease.
There is currently no way to prevent the disease but every woman should be aware of the risk factors. Of course, there are some risk factors you can do nothing about such as advancing age, being female, family history, and genetics. But risk factors related to lifestyle can be controlled such as diet, exercise, and alcohol consumption:
- Being overweight or obese is associated with a higher risk of developing breast cancer
- Exercise and following a low fat diet makes good overall sense
- There is no safe amount of alcohol when it comes to breast cancer
Knowledge is power, so stay informed. Research is constantly evolving in breast cancer and advancements occur often. Some helpful websites include:
- National Cancer Institute www.Cancer.gov
- American Cancer Society www.Cancer.org
- BreastCancer.org www.BreastCancer.org